Who we are
Most people dream of being able to play a musical instrument. We develop outstanding products that enable anyone to achieve this dream. Our first product is flowkey: a revolutionary app for learning to play the piano. After our launch in 2015 flowkey quickly became one of the global leaders in its category, with more than 5 million users from over 100 countries. We are also one of the exceptions in the startup world, as we have been profitable from the beginning. This enabled us to go our own way and create a great culture.
Why join us
We believe that the best companies help you live your life the way you want and become the person you want to be. That's why we focus on promoting your personal freedom and growth. Here are some of the benefits you'll enjoy as a member of our team:
- Flexible work location: You decide where you want to work: in our beautiful office, from home, or anywhere else in the world.
- Free time management: We believe work should adapt to your life, not the other way around. We only schedule a few fixed appointments every week – you're free to arrange the rest of your time as you like.
- Shared success: We distribute part of the company's annual profits among the whole team. This way everyone takes part in our financial success.
- Support for your growth: We actively support you in your professional and personal development. If you want to learn a new language or go to a conference, we'll cover the costs – up to €2,500 per year.
Your role and responsibilities
With millions of user events we write every day, flowkey relies heavily on our BI infrastructure for product and growth decision making. As part of our Data Team you will be responsible for scaling and evolving this infrastructure, consisting of a self-hosted PostgreSQL/TimescaleDB DB cluster and an AWS ETL application. You will contribute to the end-to-end quality of our data and work closely with our application and backend devs on it.
You’ll also contribute to the efficiency of our SQL data models and you’ll generally have a broad career horizon in Database Engineering, ML and Analytics, DevOps and other fields.
Here’s a peak into some of your tasks, in no particular order:
- Maintain our self-hosted and AWS infrastructure
- Maintain our Kinesis event tracking system
- Maintain and develop our monitoring and alerting (using Datadog)
- Perform data migration operations on our raw events data
- Optimize PostgreSQL/TimescaleDB query performance
- Optimize MongoDB to PostgreSQL synchronization
- Track down and resolve data consistency issues
- Improve AWS deployment and monitoring
- Create new ETL integrations
- Proficiency in PostgreSQL, Python, Server Administration and AWS.
- Minimum 2 years experience in managing self-hosted server infrastructure.
- Strong attention to data quality. Excellent quality of your code and output.
- You are comfortable navigating around 3rd party APIs and documents.
Nice to have
- Experience with PostgreSQL extensions
- Experience with TimescaleDB
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience with data visualization and BI tools (Grafana, Metabase, etc.)
- Experience deploying and maintaining ML tools
How to apply
Please click on "Apply to Position" to send us your cover letter and CV through the application form. We look forward to meeting you!